( published 23rd May 2002 )
last week I read an article about the importance of bread to French people ( don't know how important it is to them, but I love my baguette ). That is why they use so many times the word "bread" in their expressions. "Avoir du pain sur la planche" ( to have bread on the bread board - to have a lot of work ), "avoir mange son pain blanc" ( eaten your white bread - when tough times are coming ) are usual examples. Then there is the old old "les etrangers devraient rentrer a la maison. Ils viennent manger le pain des Francais." ( Foreigners should go home. They come and eat the bread away from the French ).
The last one reminds me of Raynaud a French comedian in the 1960s.
He said: "J'aime pas les etrangers. Ils viennent manger le pain des Francais. Chez nous au village, on avait un etranger. Eh bien on l'a chasser du village, l'etranger. Tiens! Eh ben on mange plus d'pain depuis ce jour-la: c'etait lui le boulanger!"
( I don't like foreigners. They come and eat away the bread from the French. In our village we had a foreigner. We kicked him out of the village, and now we have no bread anymore: he was the baker )
He also said: I'm French and I'm proud to be French. My name? Pulastiawzenski, from my mother's side, and Piazzano Vantiti from one of my father's friends' side.
To think about 40 years later. Have a nice weekend.
Also to think about:
1. If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out.
2. Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
3. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian, any
more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
4. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
5. If you must choose between two evils, pick the one
you've never tried before.
6. My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a
7. Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that
life is serious.
8. It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
9. For every action, there is an equal and opposite
10. If you look like your passport picture, you probably
need the trip.
11. Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of
12. A conscience is what hurts when all of your other
parts feel so good.
13. Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.
14. Men are from earth. Women are from earth.
Deal with it.
15. No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes.
16. A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
17. Middle age is when broadness of the mind and
narrowness of the waist change places.
18. Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
19. Junk is something you've kept for years and throw
away three weeks before you need it.
20. There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
21. Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to
recognize a mistake when you make it again.
22. By the time you can make ends meet, they move
23. Someone who thinks logically provides a nice
contrast to the real world.
24. It ain't the jeans that make your butt look fat.
If you want to have my morning mail in your Inbox every morning, click here