Fawlty Towers in Eltham II
Went to the doctor yesterday, I'm relieved because there is nothing wrong with my spine. Karine was nice, she sent me an e-mail to work yesterday, saying: "Darling, in future wake me up at 6, and I'll help you put on your right sock and I'll make you coffee." So, because I'm a nasty bastard, I went to her one minute ago, and whispered in her ear: "Honeeyyy, it's 6 o clock, come and help me put on my sock!" Answer:" Fmmbbllbll...", then a smile and "..yes, OK, comingzzzzzz......" and back to sleep. Well, thanks, thank you very much. Next time I'll shout "Fire, Fire..." and her reaction will be " yes, [snore], ok, [snore ], coming [ snore snore snore...]". Hmmmmm!
My morning mails seem to be premonitory: my friend Barry is living in Stockholm, and this is what he sent me after reading my mail about "Fawlty Towers in Eltham" 2 days ago:
¨Morning Alex. Just a note about a little coincidence yesterday. Read your morning mail, with usual mix of exhaustion and dread, and promptly forgot all about it. Until, that is about 8pm, as I was tucking into my pickled herring and aquavit. In the Swedish TV schedule for Tisdag, was the following:
20,00 Pang i Bygget Brittisk komediserie från 1975. Basil tar hand om en grupp tyska turister på hotellet, och försöker undvika att prata om andra världskriget.
Now my grip of Swedish is tenuous, but I was able to pick out the critical words;
BASIL; The man;
TYSKA TURISTER; Sausage munching war mongerers;
HOTELLET; The eponymous 'Towers';
UNDVIKA ATT PRATA, Don't mention;
ANDRA VÄRLDSKRIGET; WWII.
Small world, I thought as I watched the ludicrously striding Mr Cleese abuse half the European Community for 30 glorious minutes. Baz"
And to finish off yesterday the daily London paper "Metro" had an article around how British journalists have a "Basil Fawlty" attitude towards Europe and the Euro, with a strong "Don't mention the benefits" attitude.
Have a very nice day
TOP 10 REASONS FOR BEING BELGIAN
1. You get to speak three languages, but none of them
2. If other countries want to fight a war, they will do it in your country.
3. You can brew drinks out of fruit, and still call it beer.
4. You are either a.like the Dutch, just less efficient b.like the French, just less romantic c.like the Germans
5. Decent fries. Real mayonnaise. Great chocolate. The best beer.
6. No one knows anything about you, except for the Dutch and French and they make fun of you.
7. More scandals in a week than any other country in a decade.
8. You can drive like a maniac on the road and nobody cares
9. All your famous countrymen are either imaginary, or sex-offenders
10. Face it. It's not really a country, is it?